In this EIGHT PART SERIES we chronicle the new ways to NAVIGATE YOUR CAREER in the MODERN WORKPLACE. This week we’re discussing how to build your PERSONAL BRAND …
Today, brands aren’t only associated with products, but with people—and your personal brand can make a big difference in helping you launch a career and land a job. Employers are looking for individuals who know who they are and are able to present themselves as attractive employees and colleagues. A strong personal brand can help you establish yourself as an expert in your field, provide hiring managers with insight into your personality, and give you that extra edge you need to snag your dream job.
Whether you’re building your brand from the ground up or just need to give your existing identity a bit of a facelift, here’s an overview of the five steps that you can use at any point in your career or job search.
1. Determine Your Brand Attributes. Decide on three of four descriptors that best define your personal brand, which will be the key to developing a tagline that is powerful, memorable, and truly you.
2. Draft Your Branding Statement. Before you panic, know that we won’t be asking you to write a novel — just one or two sentences that capture who you are based on the attributes you chose in Step 1.
3. Refine Your Profiles. At this point, you’ll update your social media profiles to reflect your newly drafted brand statement. The objective here is to make your online presence consistent and compelling.
4. Create Your Personal Website. You may not think you need your own personal website, but under the New Rules of Work, we beg to differ. No matter who you are or what industry you’re in, a website is the perfect vehicle to display your work, connect with others, and establish yourself as an expert in your field.
5. Activate Your Brand. In this final step, you’ll pull together every element of your personal brand and begin to put yourself out there by creating content, participating in conversations, and carving out your unique voice.
Copyright © 2017 by Million Things LLC. Extracted from THE NEW RULES OF WORK by Alexandra Cavoulacos and Kathryn Minshew. Published by Orion Spring at £14.99 in paperback. Also available in audio and ebook.
Whether you are starting out in your career, looking to advance or navigating a mid-career shift, this eight part series will provide you with the tips and advice you need to thrive in the new world of work. Stay tuned for the next excerpt from The New Rules of Work next Monday.
Love LOOKTHEBUSINESS.ie? Sign up to our MAILING LIST now for a roundup of the latest career advice, networking events and interviews.