Happy = Productive: The Importance Of Wellbeing And Happiness In The Workplace

ROYSTON GUEST on why being happy will INCREASE YOUR PRODUCTIVITY …

The-Gloss-Magazine-Look-the-Business-Royston-Guest-featured

Happiness is such an emotive word. It has many different definitions to each and every one of us. We are all unique made up of our own DNA.

Is happiness… your high-flying career? Or being the leader of a great team? Or the work-life balance you achieve? Or is it the pay check at the end of every month? Whatever the reason, your happiness and wellbeing in the workplace is intrinsically linked to one simple question; “What does success mean to you personally and professionally?

Gallup released numbers in 2015 indicating that only 13% of employees worldwide are truly engaged in their work. The other 87% vary from partially to fully disengaged. They come to work, go through the motions without any sense of enthusiasm that would encourage them to take ownership, and push to improve their own performance. That’s terrifying!

One of the keys to unlocking a motivational environment is to clearly understand your personal goals and how being successful at work can be one of the vehicles and enablers in helping you realise your goals. The moment we create the bridge in our mind – the link between our personal goals, business goals and what we do daily during work – self-motivation kicks in.

This is the defining moment we change from someone with a job to someone with a purpose. We have aligned personally and professionally our meaning of success and more importantly ‘WHY we do what we do’.

Your emotional wellbeing is not a luxury; it should be viewed on an equal footing to your physical wellbeing. By understanding that it’s the energy source powering your performance – when it’s low, your performance is low, you recognise the short and long-term impact on you, your role and the business you work for.

And the opposite is equally true. When it’s high, your performance is high.

The great thing about life, when you are really clear about what success means, it allows you to design your life, being conscious of the tensions in place, and the trade-offs you are making. You remove the pressure to be someone that you’re not or don’t want to be. You remove the potential conflicts weighing you down.

When you connect with your WHY and go back to that childlike status of questioning why you do what you do – it will allow you to really connect with what success means to you both personally and professionally – a catalyst for happiness, personal AND business growth.

Royston Guest is a global authority on growing businesses and unlocking people potential. He is CEO of Pti-Worldwide, author of #1 best-selling business growth book, Built to Grow and founder of livingyourfuture™.  Follow him on Facebook or Instagram. Connect with him on LinkedIn or check out his weekly blog at www.roystonguest.com.

Love LOOKTHEBUSINESS.ie? Sign up to our MAILING LIST now for a roundup of the latest career advice, networking events and interviews.

No Comments Yet

Comments are closed